[linrad] Re: Upcoming Data: Abit_IC7/NF7 - EPoX 4B2M+ ; ERROR 1027 (1 channel); touring PC's

I am really happy for the Knoppix CD and the discussions
about it. Thanks Roger!

I have had mails from hams who claim they have spent more
than a month struggling with Linux and finally written
to me saying "I will skip Linrad - the Linux stuff is too
complicated for me".

The Knoppix CD is one way to solve the problem:-)

The other way is to make a MS Windows version and this
is my focus presently. (With very slow progress....)

> Also the ACER notebook would stay dark with 'Linrad', though
> all of Knoppix works well.
I tried the Knoppix on two computers and both of them stay dark.
The reason is that the horizontal/vertical sync rates are
wrong. In this situation, press S on the black screen.
(Another monitor would have shown the Linrad main menu)
and get into the svgalib text mode which most probably
would give a nice selection of screens. Try them (and find that
most of them, if not all, make the screen black).

The solution is to reboot, look at the screen before answering
the question about starting Linrad. The correct hor/vert sync
ranges are probably written to the boot screen. Take a note
what the values are and edit libvga.config so it contains the
correct numbers:-)

It must be possible to write a script that extracts the sync
rates from the boot log file and pastes them into libvga.config.
I think this would reduce the "black screen" problem.

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ