[linrad] Knoppix 3.81 CD

Now, off to work for the last 8 hours of my 32-hour workday.   ;)

73,

Roger
W3SZ

On Thu, 05 May 2005 04:50:12 -0400, 'Zaba' OH1ZAA <zaba@xxxxxx> wrote:

Sir Roger,

This is really great. I have served the W3SZ-Linrad_CD to four PC's
and they all went straight into Linrad-operation. Another four PC's
are waiting impatiently in queue.

Three PC's showed immediate audio input/output with the MB-integrated
VIA/Intel circuits. The remaining EPoX 4B2M+ board required a scan of
the sound parameters (U on the 'Linrad' start-up screen): sound would
work after setting the '00' configuration for read 'Only' (O/W-select).
Alsaconf identified the integrated audio as Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97
Audio rev(12) [i810 driver].

Suggestions:

Roger: your description http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/linrad_knoppix.htm
shows how to make the Live_CD. Everyone may want to have their own variant
of such a disk. However, I tried to install the Live_CD on the hard disk,
as it may be the most solid and adaptable "final" situation. However, I
was not able to find 'Linrad' back after installing. Possibly I missed
part of the documentation relating to the release of your CD.

One immediate improvement that could be done to save a lot of downloading
time among the projected number of hundreds of users, could be to do the
usual apt-get update/upgrade procedure, and make a new version of the CD.

After I installed the CD on hard disk, the upgrade required about 260 MB
of Knoppix (actually Debian) files (the usual improvements as the result
of ongoing Linux-development). 'Linrad' does not need these downloads to
operate, but if the PC is used for the future support of 'Linrad', then
it is good that the latest and safest tools are up-to-date. Certainly
new (Debian) downloads will be available almost daily, but the initial
transfer volume would be in low megabytes with a new May-2005 CD_issue.

Regarding the quest for 'Linrad' after installing W3SZ-Knoppix-Linrad,
I did 'updatedb' and 'locate linrad', and I got a load of references to
files and directories. However, even in root-mode I could not change to
the indicated directories. This is certainly still due to my ignorance
with the finest details of the Linux-system.

For HomePNA-users under this Knoppix version (and other distro-releases
after kernel 2.6.8) I recommend to issue the following commands as root:
'rmmod pcnet32'  'modprobe pcnet32 homepna=1'  and subsequent initiation
of Network Card DHCP services (Yes) via the "Fat Penguin" (lower toolbar).
This can be embedded in the configuration files, but I have not yet gone
through that exercise. Probably I will first check out the other 4 PC's.

                                 73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/2

P.S. As far as I can recall I only remember numerous failures with ALSA
in combination with the Delta44-card. Any http:-link to one success?