[linrad] ISO Access through the Data-bank // UKSMG ; Re: [linrad]

Roger's link (below) did not work, but I could initiate the
download through Rein's (W6/PAoZN) Linrad User Data Bank >>

http://www.nitehawk.com/linrad_dat/

To promote the technology I have sent out a couple of Announcements
on the UKSMG (www.uksmg.org) pages, the latest version added below.

                                          73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/NNoY

Regarding 'LINRAD' I acknowledge the positive reponse of the UKSMG board (G3ZYY)... To obtain a (thoroughly impressive) running system it is not as easy as with the Windows-based WSJT, PSK-31 and RTTY applications, where it is sufficient to install the software and then connect the audio ports of the rig to the PC's motherboard.

For most of us with a DOS/Win-background, Linux-studies have been the main obstacle
for quick progress ---- Possibly things are going to change for the better ...

New 'Linrad' Live-CD's are in preparation, enabling to check out (before any installs) whether the PC in question is able to run the system ... Also a quick identification of new suitable motherboards is of importance (with respect to functional integrated SVGA and built-in Audio). As such almost any PC is able to run 'Linrad', but the addition of PCI-cards will increase the cost. Probably handy DX-pedition packages
can be constructed with Mini-ITX boards using fanless CPU's ----

I don't know if there is anyone using 'Linrad' yet on 50 MHz for dedicated monitoring, though it is in my opinion one of the central bands to benefit of the TOTAL removal of man-made noise... Such a system (with two crystal oscillators) could be set up with 96 kHz sampling (at home or during DX-peditioning) to monitor e.g. the 50.000 - 50.090 beacon range and the 50.080 - 50.170 CW/SSB activities (and beyond) including the critical calling frequencies. A great waterfall display would show the full bandwidth (even in retrospect with recording options on the hard disk - great for catching the
exact moment of beacon openings, e.g geophysically induced appearances of the
JW/JX-beacons) ----

The UKSMG DX-supporting scenario could start with a few pioneering individuals
copying their home based experimental 'Linrad' system into a small enclosure for
portable use --- With Google (Linrad) it is possible to obtain an immediate
introduction to the technology ---   73, "Zaba" OH1ZAA/OHoMZA ----

<http://www.uksmg.org/mailform.php?postno=6352>\"Zaba\", OH0MZA - Tuesday, May 03 2005 at 09:49 (GMT)