[linrad] Re: Debian

I have been playing with the debian installer on the "qemu" emulator.

I have tried the "expert26" mode. When the installer fails to detect the network card (I have forced it just to test), it shows a beautifull screen in which you can choose "graphically" the desired netword card module, and even parameters.

This is strange. Does the installer detects, configure and mount properly your cdrom drive?.

Try this: If you choose a text console with ALT+F2 you will notice that network card kernel drivers (and also 3c509.ko among them) are on

/lib/modules/2.x.x/kernel/drivers/net

but at the earlier stages of the installer they are not present. Once the cdrom is properly detected and the CD-R is mounted, it gets from the CD-R the debian packages (.udeb) that carry the full set of drivers, and more programs needed by the installer.

Hope this helps

Ramiro.