[linrad] Re: Debian

> This is the iso that I used for my successful install.  the 'netinst'
> portion of the file descriptor indicates that it is meant for use where
> the system in question has net access, and will be able to go out to the
> net and download all of the files required to complete the intallation.

Hi Roger and all,

Yes, this is clear. My "problem computer" indeed has internet access,
but since it is an elderly computer the ethernet card a 3com 3C509 is
not supported by the netinst CD which only supports the most popular
hardware of today. The 3C509 was one of the most popular ethernet cards
at the time when the Pentium computer was modern.......

> As someone more knowledgeable than I pointed out, you need a high-speed
> internet connection to use this.  Also, the Debian installer must be
> successful in setting up the network/internet link.
Yes - here is the problem, the 3c509.o which I can find on the first
of my package of Debian3.0r4 (7 CDs) is absent on the 'netinst' CD.
I think it is silly, the CD should supply 'all' network hardware drivers
and allow the user to find remaining "less popular" drivers via the Internet

> Could that explain your problem, or did you confirm that the high-speed
> internet access was set up and working, and still the installation failed?
The search for drive routines failed, the Debian installer asks
for a "driver floppy". I have copied the 3c509.o from 3.0r4 to a floppy
in various ways but that does not work at all - i do not even get a
message with "wrong version number", the installer does not recognize the
floppy as a "driver floppy".

I was unable to find out what to do from the Debian site. The only hint
was to select a boot CD with support for the network card of your computer.
That should be "CD2, the vanilla flavour" but I do not know what that
means. Presumably it is possible to boot vanilla from the full CD package
but that is not the way I would recommend. Maybe CD2 means CD2 out of the
14 CDs?

A description for newcomers has to be precise and it has to work on all
systems for which a "standard install" of a suitable distribution such as
RedHat6.1 works flawlessly. (Fedora does not install on elderly computers
- or at least not very easily, I have failed)