[linrad] Debian

With the help of Ramiro and Patrick and Zaba's recent 'HOW-TO's and with Zaba's giving me some advice on OSS's FTP address, I was today able to get Linrad running under Debian with kernel 2.6.8-2-386. THANKS GUYS for the helpful advice and 'cheat-sheets'!!

My first impressions are:

1. Linrad seems to work as well under Debian as it did under Fedora Core 3.

2. I have NOT been able to get XWINDOWS working under Debian [even with the VESA driver], and while that doesn't matter for Linrad, it makes doing everything else with Linux much more difficult. It is like turning the clock back 25 years to the DOS and CPM days...not pretty. Doing the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 thing didn't help with my hardware [Intel Extreme Graphics 2]. X Windows still fails to start with Debian. It worked 'right out of the box' with FC3.

I had some additional issues that arose in getting Debian and Linrad to play nice with each other:

1. I had the same trouble with svgalib in Debian that I had with Fedora core 3, presumably due to the 2.6.x kernels. Compiling svgalib 1.9.20 wrote the svga* devices to /dev, but these disappeared on rebooting as they weren't saved. So I had to do a cp -a /dev/svga* /etc/udev/devices before rebooting. To do thisI had to first create the directory /etc/udev/devices as it didn't exist. With Debian, linux doesn't automatically put these devices back into /dev on rebooting, so one then needs to do a cp -a /etc/udev/devices/svga* /dev/ when rebooting.

2. My Delta 44 and other soundcards would NOT work with the alsa-oss sound under Debian. I had to ftp oss3992c-linux-x86-v26.tar.gz from www.se.opensound.com . The file is in the directory /pub/oss/linux. You need to log on as anonymous. For Debian I needed the nonregparm version, which is what I listed here. FC3 required the other one [regparm].

3. OSS would not install because of the sound system already in place, and although oss-install tried to remove the sound system, it failed. I had to remove the 'snd' file from the appropriate directory and reboot. Then sound couldn't start on reboot, and then OSS would install OK. OSS gave some error messages on install, but it still works OK.

4. I had 19 sound devices once oss installed, and the ?logical? choices in Linrad produced no properly working results. So I ran osstest and it showed me the /dsp numbers of each device as it ran. It turned out that I had to use /dsp6 for the Delta 44, and /dsp1 for the Intel CH5. When running ossmix to set envy24.rate to 96000, the Delta44 was d3. All of this will vary for your setup.

5. Just in case someone just tuned in: the 'modprobe svgalib_helper' thing is still necessary. So is adding /dev/input/mice to the /etc/vga/libvga.config file.

SO, if I can get XWINDOWS working with Debian, I might make it my main installation. Otherwise, it is just too much of a headache to use for everything other than Linrad without XWINDOWS. Since I never had FC3 lock up when running Linrad for 24 hours or so like it did for Leif, there is really no motivation for me to switch, other to be able to say I did it, and to stay compatible with those who are running Linrad and Debian. My Debian vs FC3 install time comparison must now be something like 30 hours for Debian vs 30 minutes for FC3. FC3 works perfectly for me. Debian still doesn't have XWINDOWS. Hmmm... ;)

Hope the above helps!

73,

Roger
W3SZ