[linrad] Linrad install on Debian Sarge with rc-3 installer

I have just installed Linrad perfectly in my new debian experimental setup. I have written this little guide, in which it is show how to setup svgalib and Linrad in a basic debian text machine.

I asume that you have just installed Debian Sarge with the rc-3
installer. I also asume  (it was my case) that the Debian installation
was made without internet access and that you have a modem. If you
installed Debian trough the Internet by other methods, you should have
an Internet connection running. Lets go!

Configure the internet access:

#apt-get install pppconfig
#pppconfig

and answer the questions to create a new Internet connection. If you
want to be able to start the internet session as a normal user (not only
as root), do not forget to select in the advanced options: "add user"

to start the modem connection, send the command (you do not need to be root):

$ pon

Well, we are on the Internet.

Now, configure the mirrors from wich apt will download the files:

# apt-setup

choose the desired ftp mirrors on the dialog screen.

First, install theese three good packages:
-less (a pager I like for watching man pages more confortable)
-bzip2 (for uncompressing linrad *tar.bz)
-links ( a good text mode WEB browser for browsing the net)

#apt-get install less bzip2 links

Then install the gcc compiler and all related stuff for compiling:

#apt-get install build-essential

This should take some time (27.8MB) After that, all the great compiling
software from the GNU is ready.

Now, lets download svgalib and linrad. If you do not know where to
download them, use the "links" text mode WEB browser and google for it!

To retrieve the files, use the great "wget" text mode downloading
program. It allows resuming broken downloads. Download the Svgalib and Linrad files on your home directory: (note that if your card is supported by the old svgalib 1.4.3 that is shipped with Debian, you do not need to compile the 1.9.20, but apt-get install the packaged version)

go to your home directory:

$ cd

download the files:

$ wget -c http://www.nitehawk.com/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/archive/lir01-33.tbz

and
$ wget -c http://www.arava.co.il/matan/svgalib/svgalib-1.9.20.tar.gz

If you are using this guide and new Linrad and svgalib are released, you can use the "links" text mode WEB browser to surf the Internet and search for the new file locations.

For example

$ links http://www.google.com

will start the links text mode browser.

Install nasm package from the debian servers:

# apt-get install nasm

Now, there is a little issue that I found. For compiling svgalib_helper
module, we need the kernel headers. So we will install the package
kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386. I do not understand why there is NOT a
kernel-headers-2.6.8-1-386 file, to mach the kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386
that was installed by Debian. So, I also installed the matching kernel image.

install the headers:

# apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386

and the kernel image that matches with the headers:

#apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386

when it asks you "do you want to stop now?--->  SAY "N" and continue.

NOTE: As I do not use any boot loader for my experimental debian setup (I boot
if from my other Debian machine) , I can not confirm it, but the new
kernel-image install should modify your grub setting to point to the new
kernel version. If it is not the case, modify /boot/grub/menu.1st to point to the new kernel image and initrd image version.
(I would like that someone could verify this)

Now reboot to use the new kernel:

# reboot

When booted, verify that the command:

$ uname -a

gives the 2.6.8-2 version.

Now it is time to install ALSA stuff:

#apt-get install alsa-utils alsa-oss

Note that alsa-utils will install alsa-base as a dependency. Alsa-base will prevent from loading the OSS and ALSA drivers at the same
time. (debian uses the "hotplug" and "discover" to do it at boot time).
When installing alsa-base it modifies the "discover" behaviour to
exclude the OSS sound drivers. /etc/discover.d/)

Reboot again just to see everything works.

(This could be really not needed, but it is better to do it to check that OSS drivers are unloaded. In my case, before installing ALSA, there were OSS and ALSA drivers for my sound card loaded at the same time.

# reboot

Configure the sound card with the "alsaconf" utility. It is very
intuitive to choose your sound card. It will detect it automagically.:

# alsaconf

We are ready to compile svgalib:

Go to the directory in with you have downloaded the sources.

# tar xfvz svgalib-1.9.20
# cd svgalib-1.9.20
# make install
# make demoprogs
# cd demos
# depmod -a

load the svgalib_helper module manually:

# modprobe svgalib_helper

run the test program to see if svgalib works:

# ./vgatest

if it does not work, you should edit /etc/vga/libvga.config file to match
your hardware, but It should do it automatically.

lets test your mouse setup:

#./mousetest

and move your mouse and click  the buttons to see if it works
If it does not work, you have to edit the config file /etc/vga/libvga.config and choose your mouse type and mouse device. In my case, I commented "mouse Microsoft" and uncommented "mouse PS2". I also changed "/dev/ttyS0" for "/dev/psaux" to point my right mouse PS2 device.

Now it is ttime to compile Linrad:
Go to your home directory:

$ cd

uncompress the source:

# tar xfvj lir01-33.tbz
# cd linrad-01.33
# ./configure
# make

Note that svgalib_helper module was loaded before.
if not, you can use

#modprobe svgalib_helper

to load it

Run linrad

# ./linrad

and follow Leif directions.

#rmmod svgalib_helper

will unload that module from memory.

You can write a simple bash script and locate it on your linrad directory. Call it for example, "runlinrad" and "chmod 755 runlinrad" to make it executable.

************************
#!/bin/bash
# script to load module, run linrad, and unload module.
modprobe svgalib_helper
./linrad
rmmod svgalib_helper

So you only need to invoque that script to run Linrad:

./runlinrad

That is all.

Please send me any comments, corrections or suggestions. I will also appreciate that you correct my english ;-)

Leif, if possible, I would like to see this guide published somewhere in your web page to help Debian hams to setup Linrad.

Thank you very much.

73, Ramiro. EA1ABZ.