[linrad] KNOPPIX alsaconf; Re: [linrad] Sound problem under Debian's Sarge

Hello Patrick,

My KD7A board has probably the same built-in audio, and I saw
the same effects as you describe. My system is running Knoppix
with kernel 2.6.11 so many things may operate similarly.

The sound (at least the input-side with 'Linrad') got active
after I ran 'alsaconf'. I have been using a FT-990 for years
as a monitor pedestal (!) without any antenna, but now it is
connected to a loop on the balcony, and I get very nice spectra
on the 'Linrad' screen. My problem is still the output channel.

I have direct coupling from soundcard input to output, but no
processed audio from 'Linrad'. I tried 'alsamixer' and I get to
change the amplitude of graphical bars, but there is no change
in the audio situation.

A second card may be the answer, but I would rather configure
a 24-bit card for the input and the MB-audio for the output.
Also I do not know what happens if there are more mixers, i.e.
if I change levels with 'alsamix', can I change levels with
'aumix' or something else as well, and how is the bookkeeping
of audio levels within the linux software (generally speaking)?

Anyway, I recommend KNOPPIX 3.8.1 as well for 'Linrad' usage.
The apt-get update and upgrade worked flawlessly after I did
the obligatory manual tweaks for my HomePNA-card. I have not
found a modprobe.conf file that probably needs some pcnet32
options to allow automatic network connections at boot. It
would be nice to see this repaired shortly (as default).

                                 73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA2