[linrad] Re: SVGALIB 2.9.19 under Debian

Patrick wrote:

the apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386 doesn't create the
symbolic link build. So I probably need something else.

You can try to make the simbolic link yourself (I have not tried that)

do as root:

# cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.X (Put your kernel name exactly)

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.X build

and try to compile again and see what happens.

as I have never tried it, read any documentation you have on

/usr/share/doc/kernel-headers-2.6.x

In debian, every installed package has got some information files on /usr/share/doc/pakage_name

perhaps you can find some tips there. Anyway, perhaps what I should do is to try a fresh Debian Sarge install in an empty partition to help you better.

I haven't installed the other packages (kernel-image, kernel-doc nor
kernel-patches).

I tried to compile my own kernel as this was supposed to cure the
problem. As I am not used to the Debian , and to the apt-get and other
make-kpkg command, I was in need of a good tutorial.

I found it in the Debian Reference Guide (Thanks Ramiro), on chapter 7 I
could find what I needed. In fact I found 2 methods of recompiling the
kernel : The Debian standard method (Chapter 7.1.1) and the Classic
Method (Chapter 7.1.2) the classic method seems to fit the 2.4 kernel, I
won't try it.

Well, I have never tried the "Debian way". I have always done the "classic way". Anyway, I do not know what experience you have with Linux, so perhaps home compiling the kernel could make your system unbootable or unusable. You have to know every driver you are going to use into the kernel and know what you are doing. I would not recomend it. I would use 2.6 kernel that you have installed and install the kernel-headers package. It should work.

The Debian Standard Methods ask you to install several packages using
apt-get with the following command :

apt-get install debhelper modutils kernel-package libncurses5-dev

the kernel-package leads to an error : the server cannot find the file :
/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-package/kernel-package_8.125_all.deb

Well, I think that the mistake is that you must do "apt-get update" prior to any "apt-get installl command". This is cause you have a list of packages that is not up to date. They probably updated the servers, so first do an apt-get update to download the new fresh package list.

But, as said later, I would not recomend to compile the kernel until you are comfortable on debian.

I am going to do a fresh debian install tonight, if I have free time. My sistem is a mixture of woody and sarge and I want to have the same system than yours in order to give you more accurate instructions.

We'll keep in touch.
Ramiro.

I can't go any further, if the server have a missing file.

Do I need the kernel-image-2.6.x installed to complete ?

Tnx for your advice .

Very 73

Patrick