[linrad] Re: Debian setup

Some news from my Debian :

I tried the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to solve video resolution
problem.
- You must be root to gives this command.
- This command configures the whole server (not only the video) so you
have many questions to answer.
- I could add any resolution up to 1280x1024 (I do not need the highest
ones)

After restarting the system, the new resolutions are available from the
graphic resolution menu (application - desktop preferences). So setting
video resolution becomes as easy as with the commercial OSs ;-)

Last but not least, after the "dpkg-reconfigure server-xfree86" the
volume control WORKS FINE ! I guess some parameters of the Xfree86
server are not set properly by the installation process, and this
command restores a 'good' set of command. One must keep in mind that
this distribution is not stable (yet ?) so this is the kind of minor
problem we can find using it !

I'll see later the svgalib problem, and will post again about what I
found. Ramiro (EA1ABZ) and 'Zaba' OH1ZAA sent many good informations
that I want to try. I am sure that the solution lies there, but it is a
bit too late for tonight.

Thank you to all of you.

Very 73

Patrick