[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

Hello Leif!

Well, for newbies....ummmmmmmm, I must say that Debian definitely is not for newbies :-(

It seems to me that this should be the way to do a Linux installation in the future. The Debian package is 14 CDs already and it is getting unpractical to use CDs.

Yes, I find them good for quickly installing Debian on a machine without fast Internet access. You can get the 14 CDs or even DVDs for a ridiculous amount of money from many vendors. I will order them when the new Sarge is released.

I will have a look at it (in the background) to see
whether this is really easy enough to be one of the
best ways to get ones first Linux systems running.

Well, if you need something easier based on Debian and aiming to the desktop, I would recomend the "Ubuntu" ditribution.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org.

This distribution is gaining users very quickly. It is at the top on the www.distrowatch.com popularity statistics. It has got the power of Debian and easier use, it has a 6 months release cicle. It has got the same free philosophy as Debian (it works internally the same, same package installation, etc.). I remember I tried it a few months ago just to test and It worked just fine out of the box. The installer was not graphical, it is indeed very similiar to the new Debian installer, and after the install you end with a beautiful GNOME desktop. I did not change because I know Debian well now, so It makes no sense, but this new distro seems a good candidate for newbies.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Ramiro, EA1ABZ.

73

Leif

I have here a recently installed Sarge Debian
Sarge running inside QEMU to test (a PC emulator running on my Debian OS) and I notice it needs 150 MB of hard disk and 24 MB of RAM. That is the great thing, you can install it from ugly old hardware to last hardware.

73, Ramiro. EA1ABZ