[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

Hi Ramiro,

> > Debian is hard to install for a newcomer while Fedora 3 is quite
> > easy. Once installed I think Debian is a much better distribution.
>
> Hi Leif!, Happily that is no longer true. If you have some free time, I
> would like you to try installing Debian with the new Sarge installer. It
> is not graphical (why does an installer need to be graphical?, hi,hi..)
> , but it is very good. It is much better than the Woody one. It should
> detect your hardware and your network if you have it.  You can install
> Debian with a few key strokes.
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> Download the rc-3 version about 100 MB and install the base system
> (without X-xindow) from that. Then you can install the rest of the
> system from the Internet.
Hmm, this does not seem to be a good way for the novice to make
his very first Linux installation. It depends (of course) on
what the few keystrokes have to be;-)

It seems to me that this should be the way to do a Linux
installation in the future. The Debian package is 14 CDs
already and it is getting unpractical to use CDs.

I will have a look at it (in the background) to see
whether this is really easy enough to be one of the
best ways to get ones first Linux systems running.

73

Leif

 I have here a recently installed Sarge Debian