[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

I can't help but feel Redhat has already moved to a Microsoft bussiness mentality, which is why I would refuse to run Redhat out of principle (that said, I do run Windoze when I have to).

I'm not running the latest version of Debian here, have not run Linrad and much prefer my Solaris box to the Debian box. But that is only since I know Solaris a lot better.

At least Debian really is free, and you don't feel you are going to get any nasty surprises. Does Debian not run Linrad OK??

BTW, I guess given the problems with the different distros of Linux, this might be a silly question, but is there much in Linrad that means it must run on Linux?

Could a UNIX operating system (i.e. Solaris, AIX, Tru64, IRIX, HP-UX, Mac OSX etc etc) be used without a major rewrite? Most modern Sun UltraSPARC boxes have a half-way decent soundcard that is accessable from Solaris. And of course Solaris now runs on x86 hardware too, so the better sound cards work too.

And just in case you did not know, Solaris is now free for both commercial and non commerical use on both SPARC and x86 hardware, for any number of CPUs. (Solaris 8 had a limit of 8 CPUs for the free version, but 10 is free under all circumstances).

Redhat
--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD CEng MIEE,
Senior Research Fellow,