[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

We agree

For processing the output of an ordinary radio a Pentium 66 MHz is fully adequate. It is quite another thing if one wants 100kHz bandwidth (or more)

Yes, even a 486 DX-2 66 MHz can do a good job.

I always advocate running Linrad in run mode 3. It is highly
desireable to remove updatedb and other heavy things from the
chron list to make sure Linrad will never mis-behave. Be sure
you are just trying to work a really rare - and really weak DX
just when chron decides it needs the CPU better than Linrad.
You may loose 5 minutes............

I can confirm that during the Italian Contest my Debian 486 machine ran some cron stuff around 07:00 in the morning that blocked me for several minutes... hi...

A distribution could be chosen and Linrad would sit on top of it. Just the Linux kernel and Linrad. I am biased to suggest Debian since it fits the model well and can be easily customized, but it could be any good distribution Also, one frequent critique of Debian is that it is always behind; which means more stable.

Yes, Debian is marvellous and can be customized very well. One of their disadvantages is that the "stable" branch is highly outdated for the desktop and even for servers now. I have upgraded to the "testing" branch one year ago and I am now running a mixture of both, and everything is fine. Debian is going to do some structural changes once "testing" is released as stable. They are also going to drop some of the architectures out of the stable releases, in order to reduce the release cicle. I have not tried Fedora (and will never try, cause for me is not free as it is the testing platform of RedHat) and I do not know it, so I can not tell you, but I always think that having the last version of everything is not good. I prefer stability, and of course true free software. Even better, Debian has got a Ham Radio section in the archive.

Remember the Live-CD for Linrad? Josh, KD7HGL made it one and a half year
ago. It was only 33 MB and would boot on most computers getting right
into Linrad. It was very handy. By carrying the CD to the computer store
I was able to find what laptop to buy (the cheapest one that would
work with the CD).

That sounds great for people that do not want to install Linux for fearing of breaking their WinBugs.

It could be done again but with a more modern svgalib and ALSA so it
would work on more computers. The fine thing was that you could put the
CD in any computer and run Linrad without touching the hard-disk
with its Microsoft stuff.

Is it not longer supported?
I think it will be easy to modify a Knoppix CD to include a precompiled linrad *.deb package and remove the unwanted apps. I saw it on a magazine and it was not too complicated. The Knoppix cd has got a good system hardware detection and will be great (indeed it is based on debian). It is a pity that I have not free time now for that, but I would like to work on it. Perhaps next year I will have more time.

I am right now working on a multi-threaded version of Linrad. The idea is
to move all the interesting radio related stuff into separate threads so
graphics can be run without any concern of timing issues. Hopefully it
will not be too difficult to convert Linrad to a multi-platform package.
I do not know how to do it myself, but Bob, N4HY is looking into it and I
hope some solution will develop:-)

Great Leif!

73, Ramiro, EA1ABZ.