[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

Dear Leif,

I understand your frustration with Fedora. My impression is that it is too bleeding edge and consequently quite unstable. When things start to ge ironed out, then there is a new core and things get broken again. This, I think is intentional to keep the development going.

Unfortunately, for us the development model of Fedora is quite problematic. To make things worse, the number of variables in different systems is overwelming.

May be a possible solution is to think of Linrad as a software instrument instead of a software application and remove the idea that Linrad should run consurrently with other desktop applications. A distribution could be chosen and Linrad would sit on top of it. Just the Linux kernel and Linrad. I am biased to suggest Debian since it fits the model well and can be easily customized, but it could be any good distribution Also, one frequent critique of Debian is that it is always behind; which means more stable.

Going a bit further, perhaps even X or svgalib could be avoided using something like directfb (http://www.directfb.org) which is modern, offers a good amount of graphics abstration and is quite light weight. Like now with svgalib, some people would complain that they are not able to run their favourite web browser while running Linrad, but if Linrad detaches itself from the notion that it is just another application, then things should be ok.

Feel free to comment/critique.

73,

-- Edson, pu1jte, n1vtn, 7n4ncl

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi All,

After having used Fedora 3 for a while I have now returned
to RedHat 9.

It seems to me that Fedora is moving towards a Microsoft
kind of system. "do not touch any system files - you may
get into trouble with automatic security updates".

This could all be ok if the system were stable, but it is
not. I do not know why, but Linrad does not run overnight
under Fedora 3 (It does under all other distributions I
tried)

Under RedHat 9 there is no HAL daemon and I get the feeling
I can master the system reasonably well. I can change system
files according to the books I have and I get the expected results even after a reboot. (not so under Fedora 3).

It seems to me that when RedHat 9 has become obsolete I will
have to go for Debian..........

Do not get discouraged. Linrad runs perfectly well under
Fedora 3 in daytime. The system crashes at night (every night)
because of something Fedora does. If I start the system in the
morning it will run nicely the whole day under Fedora 3 :-)

There are other advantages with RedHat 9 however. It has
a working power save mode that switches off my hard disks
when I have been away for an hour. Fedora uses the disks
continously (twice per second) so it does not go to sleep.
(I guess it could be configured somehow - but I was not
clever enough to find out...)

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ