[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

> Hi Leif!
>
> Was your email a fool`s day joke?
> Just curious.

Oh NO!! I do mean it seriously. My advice to newcomers is to
use RedHat9 or some other distribution of the same vintage.
This may be unfair to Suse - I have not used Suse enough to
really have an opinion.

The only reason for using anything more recent than kernel
2.4.xx for running Linrad would be to get a recent version
of ALSA (to avoid paying for OSS).

It is quite another thing that more recent versions have
better graphics in the X-system with support for more recent
hardware. Nothing of that is used by Linrad however, it
makes no difference whether X11 has proper support for
the graphics. Linrad uses svgalib only and it is totally
independent. People wanting Linux for more tasks than
running Linrad should (of corse) go for the most recent
Linux they can find - but it does make the system more
complex than necessary for Linrad and the stability
might suffer.