[linrad] Fedora 3

After having used Fedora 3 for a while I have now returned
to RedHat 9.

It seems to me that Fedora is moving towards a Microsoft
kind of system. "do not touch any system files - you may
get into trouble with automatic security updates".

This could all be ok if the system were stable, but it is
not. I do not know why, but Linrad does not run overnight
under Fedora 3 (It does under all other distributions I
tried)

Under RedHat 9 there is no HAL daemon and I get the feeling
I can master the system reasonably well. I can change system
files according to the books I have and I get the expected
results even after a reboot. (not so under Fedora 3).

It seems to me that when RedHat 9 has become obsolete I will
have to go for Debian..........

Do not get discouraged. Linrad runs perfectly well under
Fedora 3 in daytime. The system crashes at night (every night)
because of something Fedora does. If I start the system in the
morning it will run nicely the whole day under Fedora 3 :-)

There are other advantages with RedHat 9 however. It has
a working power save mode that switches off my hard disks
when I have been away for an hour. Fedora uses the disks
continously (twice per second) so it does not go to sleep.
(I guess it could be configured somehow - but I was not
clever enough to find out...)

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ