Re: [linrad] RE: svgalib works only in VESA mode

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It would be interesting to know what difference it makes
> when selecting VESA mode on a computer that can be run
> with proper support for a reasonably modern card. I
> actually do not know if it makes any difference and
> what I say above is just what I think (my guess)

I have done the experiment you suggested. I ran svgalib-1.9.19 in both VESA and
in ATI Radeon modes and found that I could not tell a difference with any of the
svgalib testing programs or with linrad. Linrad is not graphics engine intensive
the way a Windows kid's game would require. Also, linrad limits the choices of
colors to only 256 regardless of the screen resolution. There is no need for
more with any spectrogram program but for 3D motion games and video the 32 bit
true color mode with fast rendering is necessary.

Conclusion:  just be thankful that svgalib works with your card correctly in the
VESA mode and use svgalib-1.9.19 not an earlier version.

73,

Jeffrey Pawlan, WA6KBL

LINRADDARNIL
-