[linrad] ALSA

Fedora comes with alsa but I can not make Linrad use it properly.
The problem is that alsa does not conform to the OSS specifications
even though the documentation says it should. The problem is that
the functions for setting speed, no of channels and other things
do not return the value actually set by the device driver. The
oss document says quite explicitly that you may set a sampling speed
of many MHz and that the call to ioctl will then return the
highest speed the device is capable of in case the value asked
for is too high.

Running Linrad with alsa works fine though. All devices show up as
capable of four channels with 192 kHz sampling rate but that is just
a reflection of the incompatibility of the ioctl interface.
As long as one knows what the hardware really is capable of and
does not set any parameter outside what the hardware can do, Linrad
works fine. I can set the sampling speed of the Delta 44 from the
"U" menu
LINRADDARNIL