RE: [linrad] Linrad and Fedora Core 3

> I am playing with installing Fedora Core 3 and Linrad.
>
> I found that with Fedora Core 3 and Kernel 2.6.9-1.688FC3smp {I think I
> have the numbers right but I am not at the Linux machine right now}
> svgalib would compile without reporting any errors.
>
> However, svgalib actually compiles wrong for 2.6.x kernels in that it
> tries toinstall in the kernel svgalib_helper.o, instead of
> svgalib_helper.ko.  I was able to fix this by putting svgalibhelper.ko
> into lib/modules/.../kernel/misc and then insmod ing it.  Once that was
> done, svgalib demos would run OK and linrad started OK.
>
> However, when I reboot after the initial svgalib install, svgalib demos
> and linrad won't run even after insmod ing svgalib_helper.ko again after
> the boot.  They fail to start, with an error message along the lines of:
>
> cannot open /dev/svga
> did you load svgalib_helper.ko?
>
> which of course I had done ;)

The way I did it in Fedora 2 was by adding this file in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/svga
#
#
# chkconfig: 345 96 28
# processname: svga

start() {
    echo -n $"Loading svgalib_helper"
    insmod /usr/src/svgalib/svgalib-1.9.19/kernel/svgalib_helper/svgalib_helper.ko
}

stop() {
    rmmod /usr/src/svgalib/svgalib-1.9.19/kernel/svgalib_helper/svgalib_helper.ko
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
    start)
	start
	;;
    stop)
	stop
	;;
    status)
        ;;
    restart)
	stop
	start
	;;
    condrestart)
	;;
    reload)
        ;;
    *)
	echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|restart|condrestart|reload}"
	;;
esac
exit $RETVAL
I do not remember if there was an original svga file or if I
made it by modifying some other file in the directory.

To get the module installed and deinstalled I have the following
symbolic links to the above file:
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S96svga
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K28svga
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S96svga
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K28svga
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S96svga
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K28svga
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K28svga

I have no idea whether the above is "the correct way" to install
modules one wants to go always with a run mode, but it works on
my system - but I use it in run mode 3 always ;-)

73

Leif