Re: {SPAM?} Re: [linrad] RE: Detecting phase modulation with undersampling

Krzysztof Kamieniecki wrote:

> This seems like a fully digital RF lock-in amplifier,

Yes, basically it is.

> of which I have not seen an off-the-self model.

They do exist - I bought one at the around 1995 when I started my PhD.
However, the only high frequency versions I am aware of use a mixer to
downconvert, then do the processing at lower frequencies.

That implements an IQ demodulator on the DSP - an approach I think might
be the right one.

> Disclaimer: I'm a Software Developer and amateur EE.

Don't worry. I develop software too - I tend to do a bit of everything -
RF, optics, software, now starting on DSP.

> How about this?
>
> R = real reference signal sampled at 65MHz
> S = real signal of interest sampled at 65MHz
>
> Down-convert R and S separately to two low bandwidth/sample rate
> complex signals, possibly with a CIC[1] filter but there is probably a
> better method, since CIC is well suited for FPGAs and ASICs.

I hope to do all the processing on the board I have. I certainly want to
avoid FPGS's - I believe they are quite sepecialled, and need someone
who is really an expert on them. The company selling the board I have
has some FPGA based models, but warned me that you really need an 'FPGA
engineer' to use them - they are far from easy to use.

> At this point you could divide S by R (since the sample rate will be
> relatively low on the order of 5KS/s the c6701 may be able to handle it).

I hope the C6701 can do that!! It is clocked at 150 MHz I think. I'm not
sure a division is the way to go though. However, I am not convinced a
division is the way to go. What makes you suggest that??

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD CEng MIEE
Senior Research Fellow

LINRADDARNIL