[linrad] SSB Parameters

Hi, Stan,

Thanks for the note!

I will post them. The linux computers and Linrad are at my remote
location, and I likely won't get there today, nor tomorrow, so it likely
will be Tuesday before I do so.

I made NO attempt to optimize the parameters for SSB,as it wasn't
necessary.  It works fine with an almost random set of parameters [meaning
I took the defaults, or my defaults made up and saved in a separate
directory long ago, which I copy to each new Linrad directory so that each
new version of Linrad won't ask me for parameters].

The key issues to me are [1] setting the mouse-adjustable filter to the
appropriate bandwidth, which is [a] visual, matching the signal width
observed to the space between the yellow lines and [b] auditory, for what
sounds good in terms of the backround noise creeping in around the ssb
signal and of course [2] adjusting the red bfo bars so that the signal
sounds natural when it is visually centered properly within the filter
bandpass limits.

The automatic polarization angle algorithm seems to work fine on ssb
signals here.  The noise blanker works well except when there are very
strong signals.  Then I have to turn it off to prevent distortion, and
suppression of desired signals.

As noted above, I will send the parameters when I get to the hilltop.  But
I wouldn't recommend waiting for them if you want to play with things on
ssb.  You can probably do better with minimal thought, as I gave them none
or next to none since they worked so well right off.  That's how I've
tended to do things here.  If the defaults work just as I want, I don't
change things.  If they don't, then I start thinking.  Not very academic,
but it gives me more time to do other things.  ;)

Have a great week, and

73,

Roger
W3SZ