Re: [linrad] RE: USB peripheral Radio

The chip would presumably be initialized and then be left to produce
data without further interruption. It would need some sort of
interface/data buffer for a parallel port as you say. I suspect whatever
the interface, some sort of electronics will be required between the IF
chip and the PC. There is a fair bit of software to do in the PC also. I
am not currently skilled enough in programming to do this sort of task,
but I could do the PCB design and design a microcontroller interface,
which would do the IF chip setup. I am about to embark on a post
graduate IT course (my day job is medical!) - in time I might learn
enough about the programming as well.

Richard

Leif Åsbrink wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>How difficult would it be to adapt Linrad to such a device? (ie control
>>software with digital data input rather than analog)
>>Any ideas?
>>

>It is probably extremely easy.
>Linrad already has a mode with digital input. It is the network mode:-)
>
>The problem will be to write the control routines for the digital
>decimation chip that samples down to a rate that the PC can handle
>and maybe there could be problems using USB, firewire or ethernet
>drive routines. Using the parallel port would be trivial if the
>hardware has a buffer that can hold enough data in a FIFO. One could
>use some control pin to tell the hardware that Linrad wants to read
>how many data words the buffer currently holds and then just read
>from the parallel port. I think I can interleave such read statements
>in the fft code in a way that will be compatible to the hardware
>capabilities. It would of course be much better to use an interrupt
>driven device driver - but that would be beyond my programming skills.
>
>73
>
>Leif

LINRADDARNIL