[linrad] OFFTOPIC: C compilers and libraries?

Hello.

I am just tentatively taking my first steps into programming at University
and as is traditional we are starting with C. We use Microsoft Visual Studio
V6 at University which seems quite good to me having had no experience of
anything else. As I am not resident at University and commute each day so I
don't find it particularly easy to get computer time. What I really need is
something for at home that will run in a windows environment.

I believe that there are plenty of free compilers out there, and that there
are quite a few programmers on here; so what do you recommend.

Of course if someone wanted to help a poor student obtain a copy of Visual
Studio cheaply that would be even better. It is advantageous for me to use
the same software as the University has elected to use for obvious reasons.

Regards

Conrad G0RUZ