[linrad] Upgrading; pixel count; Re: [linrad] Re: gcc 4.0.x / lir01-35 ; Re: [linrad] Re: Linrad on a Debian..

Hi Roger!

Thanks for your detailed commentary. It is hard to disagree with any
of your comments, as it represents my general experience with Linux.

If I would have spent as much time with Linux as with DOS/Windows for
the last 20 years, then my views would be also quite a bit different.
Leif cannot be blamed indeed, but I am afraid that he will run into
another iteration loop with gcc 4.0.x just after he has adapted the
Linrad code for smooth compiling under gcc 3.3.x ... Let us assume
that gcc 4.0.x is still broken, and will 'make' the oldies soon..?

The reason that I have taken an adventurous approach is: that I have
multiple machines for experiments, and with the present routine it is
possible to re-install a Knoppix system within one hour, including the
svgalib and linrad software, all ready to go (but not really.... hi!).

Actually I am running Win2k and Win_XP with all kinds of browsers in
parallel, even four versions of Opera. I know that it would be possible
in Linux to have several versions of gcc on the hard disk, but during the
update/upgrade process that I now, usually the previous version is replaced
by the new one. I guess that svgalib and lir01-35 will compile and run fine
even on most newer versions of Linux, when installed using an older gcc.
But that is one of the many things to find out and learn. I have not even
taken the trouble to really find out what is experimental and what is stable
in Linux, so that certainly proves that my own approach is experimental!

Regarding parameter setup I do not run into jumbled screens, but into a
very limited selection set of screen resolutions with low pixel values.
After choosing one of these low pix values even the smallest font size
selection is not accepted and there is no way to jump out of the loop.
The interesting thing is that I have not been able to alter the H/V
sync frequencies after a reboot, to find a new set of resolutions.

Thanks again for the very informative remarks and philosophical
pondering on the "necessity" of updating/upgrading with Linux!

                                       73, "Zaba" OH1ZAA/2

P.S. The setad.c -error does not occur indeed with an I/Q-system