[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

Thanks Leif. Sorry, I have seen several jokes on the first of april in the Internet related to free software! I believed that your post was one of those April the 1st jokes ;-) One of them told that KDE proyect was going to change their free CVS versioning system in favor of the propietary BitKeeper. Another one said that Linux will drop the Tux mascot! :-)

The only reason for using anything more recent than kernel
2.4.xx for running Linrad would be to get a recent version
of ALSA (to avoid paying for OSS).

Yes, it is nice to have kernel sound drivers included on the kernel 2.6.x source.

It is quite another thing that more recent versions have
better graphics in the X-system with support for more recent
hardware. Nothing of that is used by Linrad however, it
makes no difference whether X11 has proper support for
the graphics.

I understand.

Linrad uses svgalib only and it is totally
independent. People wanting Linux for more tasks than running Linrad should (of corse) go for the most recent Linux they can find - but it does make the system more complex than necessary for Linrad and the stability might suffer.

Ok Leif, thank you very much for your attention. Perhaps in the future Linrad will also work in X-window System with some GTK stuff. I do not know if someone is interested and working on that...I supose that it would be hard work.

Anyway, Linrad works very well as is, using the svgalib (if you are lucky with the driver)

See you on the moon, and I wait for you at Debian in the future. ;-)

Ramiro, EA1ABZ.