[linrad] Re: memory usage

Hi Richard,

> Hi, even though there is 1 GB of RAM on this machine, I'm getting this message
>
> Error 1165
> not enough memory allocated to linrad
OK. I will change the message:

You have selected to use memory locking and
you are not allowed to lock as much memory as required.

> How do I allocate extra memory ?
I do not know. If you want to use memory locking on a
modern machine with modern Linux, read about process
priviliges.

Modern operating systems are awful in the sense that they
regard swapping to the hard disk as "normal operation"

This is a more severe problem when using a multi-threaded
architecture which is more memory hungry for reasons I
know nothing about. On my old Pentium with 24 MB ram I must
allow swapping to make Linrad-02.xx run. It is then my own
responsibility as the operator to not select parameters
that cause data areas to be swapped onto the hard disk.

Surely the proper procedure would be to make Linrad try
to lock only those data areas that Linrad needs to be in
RAM and to allow the OS to decide about all the rest.
It seems to me that much of the multi-thread overhead
could stay on the hard disk.

> Also I noticed that OS's that use uDev, any entry to /dev/ is dynamic.
> So the use of mknod has to be done each time on boot up , unless
> an entry is made in the uDev configuration.
Well, I did not know, so I made the command "make svgalib"
that adds a start script that makes the devices with mknod
and loads svgalib_helper.

> I'll post the exact entry syntax, when I get it sorted
> so perhaps add somewhere what's needed to get linrad
> running on Mandriva 2006
Actually I think the problem is an error in the RPM for
svgalib. It is not installed properly.

Best would be to add whatever is required to the RPM to
make the svgalib installation complete so devices and
svgalib_helper are in place after a reboot.