[linrad] Re: Winrad V0.90

Hi Alberto and all,

> So I took the decision to write a program that would
> run under Windows, with not all, but the fundamental
> functions of Linrad. Logically I named it Winrad.
Thank you for the initiative:-) I am sure everyone
interested will find your program easy to use contrary
to Linrad which is not designed to be particularly user
friendly.

I see in the User Guide that Winrad is designed
to be user friendly in opposite to Linrad which is
designed for no compromise in performance or flexibility.

I think users without any previous experience at all
with signal processing in a computer can expect to
download and install Winrad, read and understand the
User Guide within less than an hour.

There is a port of Linrad to Windows now, you can
download and unpack and get running in less than 5
minutes, but to use it in full, expect to work with
it and read at various places for at least a week
(but you may have to wait until a more stable version
is uploaded)

linrad.exe for Windows is at an early development
stage so many functions do not work properly. As an
example the calibration routines for the noise blanker
do not work. I do not think Linrad.exe can be harmful
to your Windows system in any way - but not knowing much
about Windows I can not make any promises.

To install linrad.exe, go to the bottom of
http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linroot.htm and download
wlr2-01.zip (258163 bytes.) To get an idea about it,
read the QEX articles which are linked to at
http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linrad.htm

No computing skils needed, but you have to understand
the signal processing done by Linrad to use it in full.
Basic usage is easy, no need to read anything I think:-)

73

Leif SM5BSZ