[linrad] Re: Linrad for Windows

Hello Roger,

nice piece of information from your side (as usual). We're looking to remote some stuff here so it is very valuable to get these heads up. I will try to check TeamSpeak out and see if I can come up with something, if is not too much of a hussle for you I hope you don't mind if I'd drop you a couple of lines with some question.

Regarding Dlinks I've personally used some 900AP+ (the 22MB ones - old) for a long time with no problem at all, but on a short path. Two identical units, one as an AP and one as an AC. Lately Dario (IW2FZR you might have seen him on moon-net) expressed his desire to remote his station which is about 20 miles from his home. As I don't use them anymore, I modified these old units removing the diversity switch and routing the rf out to a standard SMA connector. Well those things have changed face, one shall know how bad are those diversity switches. The isolation between the ports is as bad as 4-5dB! That means that even if one is switched on the outer antenna is anyhow dissipating almost 50% of the power on the other antenna... and on the rx side... One unit has doubled the power out and begun definitely 'long heared'. The second unit went from measured 9mW out to 70mW out! That switch was horful! I did a third one of a friend of mine, same stuff almost 8 times the power out and a super rx now... I also noticed that on long paths it is necessary to shorten the AP beacon very much to avoid to have 'black holes' in the coverage. Well with the two units and two 1m dish Dario and I did the 20 miles with incredile signals... That is not bad.

Sorry for long tale, thanks for your info,

Regards

Sergio IK2MMB

w3sz wrote:
Hello, All,

Those of you with a long memory will recall that several years ago [late 2002 or early 2003] I wanted to use Linrad [Linux version, of course] remotely but was stymied by its use of svgalib for graphics. Svgalib is a local graphics solution, and so that meant that while one could run Linrad remotely, one couldn't see the screen at the remote location. A network workaround was found and made a part of Linrad by Leif, but it was less than ideal to use in practice. This was definitely NOT Leif's fault, but just a consequence of the environment surrounding Linrad in Linux. The problem was basically that if anything failed at the remote end or in the link, since you couldn't see the remote Linrad screen on your monitor, you had to know the exact sequence of keystrokes that you needed to input to blindly re-establish the Linrad network link and get Linrad running in whatever mode you chose after restarting Linrad remotely with RealVNC. And not all of the functions were available remotely. So it was usable, but not an ideal solution when the remote site was several miles away. There is nothing like driving 4 miles [times two] to do something that just takes a few seconds to do when one can see the screen ;)

A moment's thought would indicate that the Windows version of Linrad, which does not use svgalib, should work remotely with no problem as long as the link has enough bandwidth, and this is in fact the case. I played yesterday with running Linrad for Windows remotely over a 4 mile Wi-Fi link and it worked fine. RealVNC did a good job of running Linrad for Windows remotely, and I used TeamSpeak to send the audio across the link. I let things run for several hours and there were no hangups or problems. Even resizing Linrad screen objects remotely was no problem. There was no indication of any more audio latency over the wireless link with TeamSpeak than I experienced on the wired network at home, even though I also had two video channels running across the link at the same time [constant ipcamera monitoring for security].

So if you want to run Linrad remotely, Linrad for Windows makes it easy!

I also tried Speak Freely for the remote audio channel over the network at home, and it worked OK. But I didn't use it over the 4 mile link, and so I can't comment on that. There may be better network audio solutions than the ones I tried, but TeamSpeak worked fine for me, and both TeamSpeak and Speak Freely were simple to install and get running.

The link is an 802.11b link using a Senao wireless bridge at each end. It has been running for about 14 months; before that I used some D-Link hardware that was TERRIBLE and gave lousy link performance.

73,

Roger
W3SZ

___________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger with Voice: chiama da PC a telefono a tariffe esclusive http://it.messenger.yahoo.com