[linrad] Linux distributions

Hi Doc and all,

> Can you share some of the details of when you did
> your experiments, which Linux distros and apps you
> tried, and some of what you tried with SVGALIB?
>
> I am using Puppy Linux and some of the guys associated
> with that distro seem remarkably able to solve many
> challenges!

As far as I know Linrad runs under every Linux distribution.
My knowledge is limited however. I can not try everything
myself but nobody has reported to me that Linrad does
not work with some particular distribution.

Those I have tried myself are:
RedHat
Mandrake
Debian
Suse
Slackware
Fedora
and several very old ones with 6.2.xx kernels.

Besides GCC compiler with utilities, Linrad needs
svgalib, nasm and sound.

To install svgalib one needs kernel headers that are correct
for the running kernel. I always use OSS for sound and to
install it one sometimes also needs the kernel headers.
nasm just needs GCC.

                          * * *

If you have a Linux distribution running on a computer and
fail to install Linrad, send a mail to the Linrad mailing list
describing the problem. Maybe someone can help, maybe
(although not so likely) there is some reason why a particular
distribution can not be used.

If I get the information from those of you who actually try
I will put the information on the Linrad Home Page: "What
Linux packages do not allow Linrad (or make installation
difficult)"

73

Leif