[linrad] Re: [Was: Re: 96000 Hz sampling from stock laptop] SVGALIB

W6WO wrote:

The Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop uses an ATI Mobility M4 video chip set which I was told has some proprietary characteristics. The audio uses an ESS Technology Maesstro-3i. I had no luck with either Linrad or a QRSS program called GLFER , this was about 18 months ago. I am running Mandrake 9.1.

As to the Maestro... this appears to be supported currently in Alsa and Googling seems to indicate that it has been for a while now.

Mandrake 9.1 is really old, even 18 months ago. It is no longer supported for security updates, and even Mandrake 10.1 is now EOL. And you'll be happy to hear that the new Mandriva installers are vastly improved over 9.1. If you decide to upgrade, do yourself a favor and do a fresh install.

I've used gLFER, gMFSK, Qsstv, Baudline, and lots of other sound card based apps for years now. Mandriva 2006 will handle these. If you're looking for ALSA support, take a look at the card's ID in the hardware manager and see if it is currently supported. Based on what I saw in my searches, and not actually having the card ID handy, I don't think you'll have any problems. I can tell you how to get these apps going on 2006 if you run into trouble.

Linrad does not like the Mandriva svgalib rpm. From what I read earlier on the list, the Mandriva packager might be in the process of being contacted and requested to add what linrad needs.

Rick Kunath