[linrad] Re: Linux distributions

richard wrote:

Well the first thing you get from downloading this tar ball is :-
[root@xxxxx Download]# tar -zxvf svgalib-1.4.3
tar: svgalib-1.4.3: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Child returned status 2

Richard:

I expect you would have some file extension like *.tar.gz Perhaps you mistyped it? BTW there is a nice feature in most distributions called "tab completion" ... type tar xfvz svga<TAB> and if the only file in your current working directory is svgalib-1.4.3.tar.gz , it will finish the name for you. if nothing completes, hit tab again at it will show all the available options. This feature keeps me sane. It is so good that the "innovators" at Microsoft added it to XP!

I'll spare you the admonition not to untar and compile while logged in as root until another day.

-Joe KM1P