[linrad] Re: Mandriva 2006.1-0.3 Free

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Richard,

Generally it is a bad idea to use the very latest distribution
because it takes some time for the hardware related groups to
adapt to changes made in the kernel. As long as you are happy with ALSA, Mandriva 2006.1-0.3 if fine for svgalib and Linrad.

I think this is the stage we can never agree on Leif, the current kernel version
is 2.6.15-6, that the vanilla kernel.
Mandrivas kernel 2.6.12-17mdk.
So for once they are not at the bleeding edge.

The real problem is svgalib, from his site nothing has moved to the stable stage since
2001, and now is patch after patch.

NO NO NO!!!!!

that's what it says on the svgalib web site

svgalib is not any problem at all. There are several ways of getting it running properly, I have shown you two of them and Roger has shown
one more. Rogers solution it the one to prefer for the future:-)
I have managed to get it installed both from RPM's and tarball.

The problem is OSS. Mandriva 2006.1-0.3 does not supply the kernel
headers in a way that fits the the expectations of OSS. Mandriva has
its own format for kernel information and we have to allow some time for
the OSS people. Therefore "it is a bad idea to use the very latest distribution
because it takes some time for the hardware related groups (=OSS) to adapt to changes made in the kernel"

I might still have a copy of Redhat 4.1 somewhere, is that old enough :)),,,being sarcastic .

Is it known if the ALSA compatible OSS ICE1712 delta 66 drivers work on linrad , they seem to on winrad in wine, its a bit slower than I'd expect on sampling on wine.

This has nothing to do with the kernel version. The one I find on my fresh
download is 2.6.12-13mdk (It seems that the Mandriva kernel is not so stable
right now since you have already 17mdk)
-17mdk was bought out on the update source to try and catch up with the main kernel development, it dos'nt mean its unstable if the packager is tied up doing something else, you should know that Leif.
Change log

* Sat Feb 11 2006 Luiz Capitulino <lcapitulino@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 2.6.12-17mdk
  o Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      - remove obsolete (integrated) patch: DA05_8139too-poll_controller.patch

    o Samir Bellabes <sbellabes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      - support for mptsas (LSI1064)
      - ipv6 was broken for sis190. (ZZ10_sis190_multicast_ipv6.patch)

    o Luiz Capitulino <lcapitulino@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      - Fixes time going twice as fast bug (fixes #16350 and #18392)
      - Fixes Audigy 2 ZS Video Editor sample rates problems
      - ZZ68_CAN-2005-3055_usb_urb_oops.patch replaced by
      ZZ83_CAN-2005-3055_usb_urb_oops.patch. Reason: ZZ68 patch is _wrong_,
      is not in the kernel and is generating hangs with vmware; the new
      patch seems the right one (fixes #20611)
      - Fixes supermount crash when accessing supermount-ed CD/DVD drive (#18783)
      - Fixes sbp2 module unload (fixes #20737, patch from Stew Benedict)
      - Support for nosrc.rpm, with this we can generate a package with no kernel
      tarball (patch from Thomas Backlund <tmb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>)
      - Security fixes:
        * ZZ84_CVE-2005-2973_ipv6_local_dos_fix.patch
        * ZZ85_CVE-2005-3356_sys_mq_open_double_decrement_fix.patch
        * ZZ86_CVE-2005-4605_insanity_avoidance_in_proc.patch
        * ZZ87_CVE-2005-4618_sysctl_overflow_fix.patch
        * ZZ88_CVE-2006-0095_da_crypt_info_leak_fix.patch
        * ZZ89_CVE-2005-4639_dvd_bt8xx_buffer_overflow_fix.patch
        * ZZ90_CVE-2006-0454_icmp_extra_dst_release_fix.patch
      - Final 2.6.12-17mdk

<snip>
Now that shows that the Mandriva packgers are repsponding to minor kernels poroblems#
IT DOES NOT SAY THE MANDRIVA KERNELS ARE UNSTABLE Leif ?????

Surely the end product that everyone wants is a package that installs easily, does exactly what is says on the tin, and others see it and want it. I, and I suspect many others, are aware that your work in this area has exceeded expectations but is being held back by svgalibs.
I'm sure if linrad was ported to X you would find its usage grow exponetially.
And because it would look good there would be more migration to linux from other Hams.
I'm also prepared to help port linrad to a X-window.

73 Richard G8JVM

73

Leif