[linrad] Re: Mandriva 2006.1-0.3 Free

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hmmm, the computer I have Windows on, a Pentium3, 600MHz, can not run Winrad
at a sampling speed of 96 kHz. I have to set the sampling at 48 kHz and then
the CPU load is about 75%.

Just to clarify things, the main consumer of CPU in Winrad is the graphic part. I have just started Winrad on a 517 MHz (as reported by Windows XP) Celeron laptop, set both waterfall scrolling speeds at that slow speed usually used with Linrad, set the sampling speed at 96 kHz, and it worked flawlessly with a Winrad CPU Load of about 50 - 55 %

When Winrad is equally good as Linrad in
blanking close to a strong signal, large numbers of amateurs will realize what is possible.

I don't dispute that Linrad is better than Winrad at that task, Not having Linrad installed, I can't do comparisons.
But Winrad is not that bad. I suppose you are referring to that noisy files just uploaded by Roger. I have processed the
w3ccxandnoise50-3-11a.wav file through Winrad, and the captured speaker output is here:
http://sundry.i2phd.com/w3ccxandnoise50-3-11a_filtered_by_Winrad.wav

Please let's not start a flame war about which program is better. Linrad is surely better from the point of view of the time spent on it by Leif carefully tuning and refining the algorithms. Winrad is very young, and my main goal writing it was to give to all the Linux-impaired OM (as I am) a tool that could be installed and used in matter of minutes. Winrad is not, and probably never will be, as complete and rich of functions as Linrad is today. Its goals are different.

73  Alberto  I2PHD