[linrad] Re: svgalib segfaults (conclusion)

Leif Asbrink wrote:
Hello Ramiro,

I have just compiled svgalib 1.9.24 and linrad works great using NO_HELPER mode! No crashes, it works just fine.

Can we conclude it was a svgalib bug?

I think so. But one can never be 100% sure. There could be
a bug in Linrad that 1.9.24 is not bothered about.

I understand.

On the other hand, 1.4.3 is old now and your laptop was probably not so old when 1.4.3 was finished so it might
not be so well debugged for the new hardware.

Yes! My laptop video card is even not supported on svgalib 1.9.24. It is an integrated card model Intel 915 GM. I continue using the VESA driver on the laptop under svgalib 1.9.24.

I have investigated it further. Perhaps it is a bug on the VESA driver solved on the 1.9.24 series. On my desktop computer svgalib 1.4.3 uses the nVidia NV3 driver and works ok. But if I configure /etc/vga/libvga.config for using the VESA driver on the 1.4.3 version, linrad crashes on the desktop computer in the same manner as the laptop.

Another thing is that 1.9.24 could be very much faster
and therefore a bug inside Linrad might not happen
in the time window where it would bother svgalib.

For the moment I will act as if I were 100% sure it was a svgalib bug:-)

It works perfectly know under svgalib and under X, so we can enjoy it until new bugs are introduced on the next version or the hidden bugs appear again.

Anyway, thanks very much for Linrad and for your great debugging help

73, Ramiro.