[linrad] Fwd: Softrock as part of VHF receive chain

Hi, All,

RE: the recent threads on using Softrocks as part of the receive chain; in the latest EME Newsletter for 432 and up it is noted that Dave Robinson, WW2R, is using a SoftRock 7 as part of his receive chain for 1296 MHz EME. Here is the post. I posted the whole thing so you can get a sense of things:

WW2R: Dave rxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx is now QRV on 13 cm as well as 23 cm - On 1 April I built a 13 cm VE4MA superfeed with tubing donated/shipped by PA3CSG - TNX. On 2 April I had a sked with VE6TA at 1700 but my DB6NT xverter broke twice. We eventually worked at 2000 for initial #1. During the week I changed preamps to a WD5AGO style and changed the relay/adaptors, lowering the system NF by 0.35 dB. On 8 April I operated the DUBUS contest. Exceptionally loud signals were heard and my echoes copied 2 dB over the noise. I worked OK1CA, F2TU, W5LUA and OK1KIR. CWNR were ES5PC and HB9JAW. On 9 April signals weaker and no echoes copied. OK1CA seemed down by 10 dB. I CWNR HB9SV, OE9ERC (2 hours) and SK0UX (1 hour). I also heard but did not QSO WA6PY. I did work OZ4MM (weaker) and G3LTF crossband on sked.

Using my softrock 7 RX, I simultaneously monitored 2320 and 2304 all weekend. G3LTF was the only signal identified on 2320.

I also listened on 2424 during JA window, but heard nothing. On 11 April I worked OE9ERC for initial #8 (17 dB over the noise) on a sked on both CW and SSB. Echoes were 1 dB over the noise at this time. On 12 April I received nil on sked with NA4N, and heard WD5AGO on sked but did not complete. I have my 23 cm feed back in the dish in preparation for May contest activity. I have also stared work on a 3456 system.
---------------end of WW2R post---------------------

Its nice to see that the SoftRock 7 has been 'battle-tested' and is performing well ;)

I got my SoftRocks for 160m and 80/40m yesterday and hope to put them together this weekend, though I have a few other chores that may prevent that. The v7's for 28 MHz should be shipped next week, I believe.

I have emailed Bill Kelsey N8ET at Kanga USA and he has the LNA's for the R2 Pro in stock at $12 each plus $5 for shipping. I had previously posted his URL, and his URL lists his email address for those interested.

Have a great day all,

73,

Roger
W3SZ