[linrad] Re: MAP65 and Linrad Network

Hi Joe,

> > It may be necessary to add a call to Sleep(0) under Windows
> > or to sched_yield() under Linux at regular intervals in all
> > routines that might lock up the CPU for a too long time.
> >
> > Those calls are effected by lir_sched_yield() in the OS independent
> > code of Linrad and I found it necessary to place about 45 such
> > calls within Linrad.
>
> Hmmm, I may have trouble doing the equivalent.  For example,
> MAP65 does some very long FFTs using tthe FFFTW3 library.  I
> can't very well put calls to relinquish CPU control inside these
> tasks.
No, but just before and just after;-)

In Linrad such calls are issued inside the computation of the second
fft in case the size is above 32768.

> On the other hand, there is a "threads" version of
> FFTW3, which might be what's needed.
Probably, on a single core computer. On a dual core (or more)
it should be OK to have one thread locking up one core
for long times provided that the other core never has to
do an "endless" task simultaneously:-)

> Right now such issues are not a top priority, though.
Oooh! I do understand that:-)