[linrad] Re: linrad make errors

Hi Dan,

> Thank you for the reply. NASM fixed the problem. xlinrad now builds and
> loads, however it errors attempting to configure the sound card. The
> audio controller is an Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM on an IBM t41 laptop.

Do other sound programs run correctly?

Linrad just uses the device driver supplied by your system
and should not fail unless other applications also fail.

Now, in case you are using ALSA the above might not be quite true
because Linrad follows the specifications of OSS and Linux legacy
sound. You must have alsa-oss installed, but unfortunately the
interface to the old specifications does not quite do what
it should. Among other things it does not tell the application
what capabilities your hardware has so you have to know that
yourself. Not as easy as one might think because rate conversions
may be done by the drive routine with sometimes odd results...

In case you already have alsa-oss and other sound programs do
work, please give more details about what happens.

> My primary interest is HF SSB on 75 meters in the evening - a very noisy
> environment. The introductory material seems to indicate a single
> channel audio input is the place to start. Is this correct? How is
> linrad on 'static' noise?
A single channel audio input means that you have to use a conventional
radio to feed the soundcard. In case you have a conventional radio
with 2.4 kHz bandwidth you would feed Linrad with a signal that is
stripped of all information about what happens outside the desired
frequency range. Under such circumstances Linrad can not do anything
in SSB mode except giving you a narrower or steeper filter, none of
which will likely be beneficial.

You might find a better signal at the point where a modern
radio has its A/D converter. Assuming your soundcard samples
at 48 kHz any IF below 22 kHz or so would be fine for a single
audio channel.

With some kind of direct conversion receiver you need two
audio channels. One for I and another for Q. That would
give a bandwidth of perhaps 45 kHz into the computer.
On the edges there may be false (alias) signals so all
the 48 kHz will not be useful.

With a reasonably wide bandwidth Linrad will remove local
QRN extremely efficiently. Lightening crasches that have
travelled a long distance that have smeared them out in time
and given each crasch a unique shape that is like white noise
can not be removed by subtraction since the waveform can not
be known in advance. To what extent Linrad would be helpful
is unknown to me. The dumb blanker can be used to gate out
the crashes, but maybe it will work equally well to set
the AGC to maximum speed (both attack and release.) Another
thing that could help is to just allow the crashes to saturate
by running without AGC. If the SSB signal itself is allowed
to saturate  a little (Linrad limits in Hilbert space, like
a RF clipper) the sound will not go above the clip level
when the interference comes.

Maybe others can share their experiences with us on this list.
I have asked for difficult cases, but I do not have any
recording of an SSB signal that is difficult to copy.