[Linrad] Re: Preamp WSE

At 09:10 AM 2/19/2009, you wrote:

>Aloha to all:
>
>More elemental questions. What is a good amplifier level before
>input to WSE RX144? If I have say LNAs at antennas and have maybe 15
>dB gain at RX144, then inserting another 15 dB for each channel at
>converter is working nicely.
>
>What amount of signal amplification should supply to the RX144
>channels? AND what effect is NF of second RF amplifiers in shack
>have upon NF of system?
>
>My interest is may I use a more economical RF amplifier at the back
>of the converter and a good LNA at antenna to make required input to
>WSE converter?
>
>This has likely been convered before?
>
>Jeremy w7eme

Jeremy,

I have a spreadsheet program that does the caculation for NF for two
preamps and a receiver (or any three stages).  The program uses this
to determine MDS and full eme pathlink performance (SNR).
http://www.kl7uw.com/emelink.xls

the second preamp NF is reduced by the gain of the first preamp but
any cable loss between the two preamps is added with the NF of preamp
#2.  NF = noise factor = 10^(noise fig/10).  Much easier to do math
with noise factors (ratio) than with noise figure (dB).

So if your first preamp has a gain of say 16-dB, NF(2)/40 is the
contribution to total NF.  A 1-dBNF second preamp will only
contribute about 0.2 dB to the overall system noise figure.

73, Ed - KL7UW