[Linrad] Re: Setting priorities in Windows

Leif Asbrink wrote:

> I write this onboard the airplane on my way home. I will
> do some testing on slower computers with a single core
> to see if realtime priority causes anything bad that I
> can discover before I make this option available for testing
> by others.

There is a profound difference between the now dead Windows 98 and Windows XP or later.
If you try with Win98, you will see that setting your process as having the Real Time
priority class nearly freezes everything else on that PC.

In Windows XP and later, they took the needed measures to ensure that the kernel of Windows
wasn't starved of CPU cycles in such a circumstance, so that an user program cannot freeze
anymore Windows, no matter whet its priority class (for the process) or priority level (for
the threads) may be.

73  Alberto  I2PHD