[Linrad] Re: LINRAD and SDR IQ

Hi Mario,

> Now bypassing the helper by editing the "libvga.config" the command ./linrad
> ask to run linrad in root mode BUT when I do that ( with sudo command )  the
> program first blank the screen and after that gives a very colored screen
> good for this period of carnival ... but less useful for Linrad .... ah ah
Presumably your video card is too modern to be included among those
supported by svgalib. Try to force vesa by uncommenting the line
"chipset VESA" in /etc/vga/libvga.config

This may work sometimes, you may find various problems on exit from
Linrad however. There are some things to experiment with in
/etc/vga/libvga.config and it might help to set vga=771 in /boot/grub/menu.lst

(append vga=771 to the line "kernel    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6...."

> Maybe there is still some problem with svgalib; what I am planning to do is
> to install the latest version of svgalib and see what will happen..
There is no latest version. 1.9.25 is a test version only for
people interested in svgalib development. The latest stable definitely
lacks support for modern hardware.

> Running ./xlinrad ( even after rebooting after running "make sdr14" ) still
> the system do not see the SDR and ask for sound card.
I tried SDR-14 on my Ubuntu 8.10 installation and it works fine.

Press 'U' on the main menu.
That gives a screen where you can toggle between native alsa and OSS
(provided both sound interfaces are available.) Press any key
to get to the display of the current status.

Then 'A' to change the input device. You should see the SDR-IQ as your
first choice.

If you do not, press ESC for selecting soundcard, then have a look
at your soundboard_rx_init.log file. It might contain something like this:
Looking for an SDR on the USB port.Trying to open /dev/linrad_ft245
open_sdr14 USB failed.

(That is what I get when the SDR-14 has no power or when the driver
is not loaded or if I try to run Linrad as a normal user.)

You have to be root to access the ftdi USB driver. I have no idea why.
Maybe someone can tell me what needs to be changed in the Linrad
package to allow opening of a device file as a normal user. Chmod 777 /dev/...
does not help.

I ALWAYS run Linux as root and therefore I do not know much about all the
(needless) complications that comes with underpriviliged normal users.
I will not change my habits, but I would appreciate very much if someone
who understands the complications would assist in making it as easy as possible
to run Linrad as a normal user. Known problems are permissions to use svgalib
without svgalib_helper, to use the parallel port at high addresses and to
use the USB interface. (there might be a couple of other issues that have
slipped my memory right now.)

Likewise I always run Windows as administrator so there are presumably many
things in Windows I am also happily unaware of;-)

My computers have no life-supporting functions so a failure is not deadly.
I actually never had any crasch except for physical failure of hard disks
so I do not buy the idea that full privileges are particularly dangerous.
Surely, if I would type "rm -r *" at the top directory everything would be
gone, but I know not to do such a thing....

73

Leif