[Linrad] Re: Priority and IP addresses

Hi Leif and all,

It's very likely that you or others on this reflector know a great deal
more about this than I do.

Some relevant facts I've determined empirically by running Linrad
together with MAP65 include the following:

1. On the three Windows machines I've tested, if both Linrad and
MAP65-IQ are run on the same machine it is necessary to run Linrad at
"Above Normal" priority.

2. There is no need (and I think no incentive) to run MAP65 at an
elevated priority.  MAP65 is not a real-time program in the same sense
that Linrad is; it has no tight tolerances to maintain in order to avoid
  glitches in audio output, etc.  When running in Windows, the MAP65
process sets itself to NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS.  The two threads that
handle UDP packet input (from Linrad) and audio output (to the SSB
transmitter) are set to THREAD_PRIORITY_ABOVE_NORMAL; the thread that
does decoding is set to THREAD_PRIORITY_BELOW_NORMAL.

3. With this setup, Windows is still perfectly usable for email, web
browsing, compiling programs, etc., while Linrad and MAP65 continue to
run without problems.

4. MAP65-IQ can be configured to "listen" on IP address 127.0.0.1 while
Linrad (running on the same machine, call it computer A) sends timf2
packets to either 127.0.0.1 or the machine's own IP address (e.g.,
172.16.28.32).  No changes are required to MAP65-IQ for both addresses
to work in Linrad.  I took it that this means the "localhost" address
127.0.0.1 is little more than a placeholder for the real IP address.

5. If Linrad runs on computer B, and MAP65 or MAP65-IQ on computer A,
Linrad should send its timf2 data explicitly to the IP address of
computer A.  Computer A can still "listen" on 127.0.0.1, however.

Perhaps there would be a difference in CPU loading if I had MAP65 listen
on its own IP address instead of 127.0.0.1.  I have made no tests to try
to determine this.  Unless it is true (at a level that really matters
when receiving timf2 data sampled at about 96 kHz, I can see no
advantage to making MAP65's input IP address anything other than
127.0.0.1.  Have I missed something important?

	-- 73, Joe, K1JT