Re: [SPAM][Linrad] Re: system gain

Good morning Chris,

I have tried setting the scale on the left side of the spectrum display,
using the various little up and down arrows. It is currently set to a
maximum of 40 and a minimum of -10 dB. My system noise floor is at 0 to
+2 dB. Changing this range affects the usefulness of the display but
doesn't affect the sensitivity of the system, as far as I can tell.

I should have stated my concern more clearly. I am talking about the
waterfall display and the audio demod features. I have adjusted the
various contrast settings, using the two boxes in the lower right hand
corner of the waterfall display to be able to see weak signals. I have
also compared the signal to noise ratio of the demodulated CW from the
LINRAD system to that of the IF radio,. In all cases, the IF radio hears
better and can hear signals that cannot be seen on the waterfall.
That's good, but with the poorer performance at the waterfall, I feel
that I am missing off frequency signals that might be calling me.

It occurs to me that the band width of the filter in LINRAD's
demodulation window (sorry I know I am probably not using correct
terminology here) is affecting the signal to noise of the audio output.
I have fiddled with the little green ellipses, but can't get them to go
any narrower and really don't understand how this all works. I have read
W3SR, VK2DU and Leif's instructions until I am cross-eyed. I just don't
seem to "get it". Sorry to be such a lame brain  :-)

All of these comments apply only to the "weak CW" or "A" mode. I don't
try anything else.

I hope I have been able to clarify my concerns as presented earlier.

Thanks very much for your response.

73,

Dave