[Linrad] Future SDR Developments

It is no more than 2 years since the SDR-IQ appeared, following its
sibling the SDR-14, with a clock frequency of 66.7MHz allowing direct
sampling at up to 30MHz.
The Perseus SDR soon followed with direct sampling up to 40MHz.

I have been following the HPSDR project with considerable interest:
http://openhpsdr.org
The Mercury receive module has direct sampling up to 65MHz, already
more than double the SDR-IQ.
And there is a transmit module Penelope to match, with a GPS locking
module Excalibur soon to be released.

Surely in a year or so, two at the most, we will have direct sampling
at 144MHz, with no further need for transverting down to 28MHz, just a
need for a bit more front-end gain.
Already I can see the shape of my next major 144MHz upgrade:
Penelope transmit board with direct output at 144MHz,
Twin Mercury receive boards, sampling directly at 144MHz, one for each
polarity,
and Linrad as the main receiver, followed by MAP65.
USB3 will be the standard for interconnection long before then.

Doubtless there will be minor problems with sampling frequency being
incompatible with MAP65,
but such details should not present any major difficulties.
Do others share this vision?

Guy  VK2KU