[Linrad] Re: Future SDR Developments

Hi Leif,

Thanks for your useful comments.
Yes, I was aware that the SDR-14 will work at up to 200MHz using its
direct input, and presumably the alias response of the unit with
appropriate filtering.
However the SDR-14 (and SDR-IQ) are not built in a way which enables
GPS locking of the sampling frequency, and the error in this (in my
case) is some 300Hz.
I do not really have the technical background for detailed discussion
of this, but it seemed to me that if we have 2 identical Mercury
boards, both locked to the same GPS signal, then for all practical
purposes it is as if they had a common LO. Is that indeed the case?
The other lack in the SDR-14 is that it is a receiver only, with no
provision for transmitting on 144MHz. A transmit function is necessary
if we are to dispense completely with a 28MHz transverter.

I appreciate your comments on the needed transfer rate of 2x1MHz. I
had not understood that.
And yes, of course it would be necessary to synchronize the transfers
from the 2 Mercury receivers. I have no idea what is involved in that,
but has anyone actually communicated these needs to the project
leaders in the HPSDR project?

73  Guy  VK2KU