[Linrad] Re: Future SDR Developments

The appears to be a misunderstanding.   The Mercury A/D is operating at
130 msps and it has capture aperture well above the nyquist rate for
bandpass sampling.  As Leif says for the other models mentioned,  a
bandpass filter is required to eliminate aliasing and because you are
using aliasing as your friend here,  you have a fall off of sensitivity
as you go higher in frequency.  For effective operation,  they need a
bandpass filter and a preamp to lower the system noise figure.

Mercury is good for DIRECT SAMPLING to about 55 Mhz and bandpass
sampling much higher.  The limits depend on your construction of the
required front end to make it useful and the specs, which may be found
from linear technologies for the LTC2208.

http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=MERCURY

You can see from here:

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1155,C1001,C1150,P13693,

that it has full power operating bandwidth (responds to) signals up to
at least 700 MHz according to the data on the URL.  There is NO
filtering in front of the A/D and the buffer amplifier (LTC6400-20) is
good to well over 1 GHz.

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.