From: Leif Asbrink <leif@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Linrad] Re: Vista and Windows 7.
Date: Tue, September 08, 2009, 14:04:00

Hi John,

> What is the path of least resistance for those of us who use Windows?
It
> sounds like Windows XP on a Modern Computer.

That depends on the hardware.

If you have a direct conversion radio with two RF channels connected
to a PCI soundcard there is nothing from Microsoft that works on a
modern computer. You would have to find an old computer and you would
have to run XP on it. Or perhaps Windows 2000. I actually think 2000
is better if you want to run many other programs at the same time but
I have not made any serious comparison.

If you have a direct conversion radio with a single RF channel and use
the builtin audio or perhaps a PCI Express card you can use any
version of Windows (32 as well as 64 bit) on a modern computer. (But
I have only tested a single one, the D5400XS.)

If you have just a single CPU core I think you should use XP or 2000
even if the processor is fast.

I do not yet know enough about how Perseus and SDR-14 work on
different
machines. Modern Windows may add extra delay due to some needless
audio processing on the output (equalizers, echo compensation,
channel delay...) but I would not think there would be any problems on
the input side.

> Are all Windows XPs acceptable?
I have a limited budget for buying Microsoft products. The only XP
I tested is XP Professional 32 as well as 64 bit. The 64 bit version
does not work with any of my PCI cards. (I have no 64 bit system that
does not have a PCI Express slot.) But Windows 2000 is fine so I see no
reason why any 32 bit XP should have a problem.

ALL MODERN LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS. 32 BIT AS WELL AS 64 BIT WORK FINE
WITH
LINRAD ON ALL COMPUTERS TOGETHER WITH ALL SOUNDCARDS.