From: "Leif Asbrink" <leif@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Dimitris Vitorakis" <jimmyv@xxxxxx>
Cc: "Marko Tsekov" <lz2us@xxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: QRN RF Limiters Bias question

Hi Jimmy,

thank you very much for your reply. So as to learn more, when you find some time (no rush) i would appreciate if you could elaborate more with a description, in what you write below:

> Another possibillity is to use RF amplifiers without (harmful) capacitors
> that recover immediately after saturation. Then you would not need the
> diode limiters at all.

A big pulse will saturate an amplifier and cause abnormal currents and
perhaps build-up of charges at various points. I can not go through every
possible design mistake, but there is a large number.

What you have to do is to measure the performance bu looking at a steady
carrier while your system is subjected to strong pulses. If the carrier
is not present immediately after the pulse you have a problem.
You would have to investigate DDC voltages to find out what the reason
might be.

73

Leif

PS. Remember that the Linrad noise blanker will do a much better work than a limiter in case you have strong signals in the passband. DS.

LINRADDARNIL