[Linrad] MAP65 and the SDR-IQ

Hi Dom and all,

You are 100% correct that a big part of the value of MAP65
is its polarization-matching capability, separately matched
to the exact polarization angle of every received JT65
signal.  As has been discussed on this list in the past, in
some detail, a single channel receiver like the SDR-IQ
cannot provide such capability.  [Of course, two SDR-IQs
would also not work, because they could not be properly
synchronized.]

Nevertheless, there is great interest in having a
single-channel version of MAP65 that is capable of working
with the SDR-IQ.  There are several good reasons for this:

1. At 1296 MHz and above, nearly everyone uses circular and
therefore polarization diversity is not required on receive.

2. On 144 MHz many people have single-polarization antennas
and nevertheless want to have wideband panoramic reception
of JT65 signals, even if it does not have the
polarization-matching capability.

3. The SDR-IQ is well engineered, highly capable, and
relatively inexpensive.

These are the principal motivations that have encouraged me
to make a "MAP65-lite", which I have called MAP65-IQ.  The
program is now happily running in my lab, receiving very
weak JT65B signals from a QRPP transmitter about a mile
away, on the dead 10-meter band. A few more details to be
improved..., but it works very well!  :-)

The MAP65-IQ screen display looks almost exactly like those
of MAP65:

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/MAP65.pdf
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/EME_Florence_2008.pdf

... except that the "measured" polarization angles are
always zero.

	-- 73, Joe, K1JT