[Linrad] Ubuntu 9.10 WARNING

Hi All,

It seems the Linux development team is now making yet another
major change to the Linux system. The 2.6.30 kernel which we
find in Ubuntu as well as Debian squeeze has several major
problems and I would advice Linrad users to stay with older
Linux distributions for a while until the problems have been
resolved.

I am running Debiab squeeze on my laptop. I can not boot with it
so there is also a minimal Debian lenny installation on this
laptop from which I can boot Windows, lenny, squeeze and
also Fedora 64 bit.

The new Grub that comes with the 2.6.30 kernel can not co-exist
with Windows on this machine. Neither under Ubuntu nor Debian.
I tried to send info to Grub developers, but failed. Hope they
already know. (See below.)

There are many more problems with 2.6.30. The computer will
hang if I close the lid or press the power off button. As
a consequence the next boot will fail and require a disk
check.

I am using the latest software because the gcc compiler
has better error checking. Avoid it unless you really need
the support for newer hardware that it provides.